Friday, April 15, 2011

Almost Nearly Kind of a Pilot

After several false starts due to the weather (see previous post for an insight into that!), I finally got to have my mock flying test today!  Manny had briefed me on what most likely will happen on test day, so I had a clear(ish) picture in my head of what to expect.  The idea is that we have a dry run, then I later head out solo and practice anything that needs to be tidied up, and after that book the actual test.

The weather started out quite benign in the morning, but by 1300h had become quite fickle - still flyable, but fickle.  My gut instinct was to use the grass strip (13) as the wind was only ten degrees off, but due to recent rains I wasn't sure what the surface would be like.  Plus - many of the SATA guys were taking the large crosswind on 18, so I would have been the 'odd man out'.  It was just on the maximum demonstrated crosswind ability of the aircraft, so it is still legal.

Following a lengthy wait on the cross runway for the considerable traffic to clear, I took off - and suffered an engine failure after takeoff ... Well, a simulated one anyway.  Drills into action, set best glide speed, select a field, etc.  Engine magically back, we climbed to circuit height and departed to the northern training area with some straight and level and simple navigation along the way.

My steep turns were a bit clunky, so Manny revised me on how they should be done (makes it look all so easy!).  Then it was on to some stalls, which I hadn't done for some time.  The first one I didn't hold it completely until stalled, I removed back pressure on the control column the minute I heard the stall buzzer.  The second one I was a bit more intrepid.

Then, I had another engine failure (engine must be dodgy!) and had to do choose a field.  There was a lovely one the right shape and alignment, but in my rush to get set up for it, I turned my back on it - big no no.  Going to fix that during solo.  We were going to make it in, but I ended up just a little high.

After that fun, it was time to head back to the airport and re-enter the circuit for some crosswind touch and go fun.  It was very quiet as we were approaching, but the minute we joined - every man and his dog were out (or so it seemed!).

It had been a little while since I have done crosswind circuits, and I have never done them at maximum demonstrated crosswind level - so I was a little nervous to say the least!  I think it showed, too.  Because I accidentally bounced the aircraft from about a foot above the runway!  Instead of bring the power off slowly and smoothly, I got to where I thought the wheel was close to touching down and wrenched it off - but the wheel still had a little way to go it seems.  It wasn't unsafe, just uncomfortable.  I instantly went into go around mode, but Manny didn't mind because it was one scenario that he didn't have to contrive - I just did it.  *Phew*, another thing ticked off the list.

Then we did a bad weather circuit, Manny did a revision demonstration of a good landing and then I was able to nail the next two.  With people going every which way, it was very important to be aware of other traffic movements in and near the circuit.

I still have some stuff to fix, but overall Manny said that I was applying good decision making skills and flying with the right work-cycles, even if it wasn't the most pretty flying I've done.

On to the solo preparation, the book the big test.... *cue ominous music*

No comments:

Post a Comment