Saturday, September 22, 2012

Going Coastal with Mel

Today was a perfect day to go for a fly. I had booked the Tecnam a few days earlier and invited Mel to come along and experience the new aircraft. Whilst thinking about where to go I remembered how the flight in the Winjeel the other day had whet my appetite to go down and see Torquay and Barwon Heads a little closer.  So that's where we went!

We departed overhead Ballarat Aerodrome and set course for Torquay. Once we climbed to our cruise height of 5,500 feet it was as smooth as silk. Truly hands-off flying!

Geelong.

The clouds clinging to the coast were causing some lumps and bumps when we descended below them.  I asked Mel if she was OK with some bumpiness and she replied "As long as it isn't too much for the plane, then I'm OK!"  I told her that this was no worries for the aircraft, but it was more a comfort issue - so we pressed on.
 
As we got closer to Torquay, a parachute aircraft was climbing and about to drop his payload.  He asked if we can stay away from the airfield. I told him that we had no intentions of landing at the airfield and we'd steer clear as we make our way over to the coast, then track East.  I heard no more from him except for a drop call, so I guess the drop happened without incident! 


Crossing the Heads.  A container ship was heading out just as we passed.
Beautiful water, looking South from Point Nepean.
Point Nepean.  The rifle range clearly visible - also my timer is too.

We crossed the heads, turned around and headed back towards the West - Giving Mel a much better view of the coast out the right side. As much as I would have loved to continue, I didn't want to spend too much time in the sun. Even with hats on and the vents open it did get a little warm! 

Point Lonsdale.



Torquay.


Winchelsea.

Mel enjoyed seeing and pointing out all the places they used to frequent during her childhood summer holidays.  Once we got past Torquay I poured on the coal, pointed the nose skyward and turned for home. It was nice to climb back up into the clear air, but it was a pity to leave the beautiful coast.

Almost home now.  Passing Lethbridge Airpark at 4500 feet.


Overall it was a wonderful flight - Mel even enjoyed herself enough to take some photos!  She sent a few MMSs to people to make them jealous. 

It worked! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment