Thursday, September 13, 2012

Spur of the Moment: Flying to YBSS With Tony

As I was walking back to my car from my Tecnam qualification flight the other day, I saw a familiar face over in an open hangar.  It was my new aviation friend Tony.  He was preparing his shiny new Jabiru J230 for a fly, so I thought I'd pop over and say hi.

It turns out he was just about to take it for a run to Bacchus Marsh and back.  "Would you like to come with me?"

"Sure!  It'll be the first time in a 230."

Tony's plane has been fitted out with a nice glass panel and a Garmin GPS.  The leather seats are a nice touch, and the upholstery in the interior is much nicer than I've previously seen.  I had heard that the 230 was a little narrow in the cabin, but both Tony and I fitted in quite comfortably.

I was also a little excited because it is not often that I'm a passenger and can have a good look around (and take a few pics!).

Climbing out over Ballarat.

Ballarat, looking South.


Climbing to our planned cruising height of 3500 feet.  Mount Warrenheip just ahead.


CFA Training Centre and airstrip at Fiskville.

Speedway near Bacchus Marsh.

No one was home! Oh well...Quick stretch of the legs, then back in the air.


Canola fields, just turning crosswind.

Tony turns for an overhead departure.  The runway can be seen just in front of this cap.

The rather beautiful valleys just West of Bacchus Marsh.



Looking back towards Bacchus Marsh Township.

Climbing above the bumps.

Regional Fast Rail bridge near Dunnstown.

Ballarat City looms once again. 


Creswick Road, looking South.

Turning to join downwind.  Wave to the folks below!


Wendouree.  Mount Buninyong looms in the background.

Established on base leg, RWY 23.

Base leg, reducing power ready for turning final.

Almost home, coming in over Macarthur Park

We're back!

Thanks to Tony for taking me along for this little jaunt.  I really appreciated the time to look around and I think he appreciated me being able to get maps and ERSA entries ready.  All in all, a pleasant afternoon indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment