Friday, April 13, 2012

Nav number two!

It's been a long time in the making, but today I finally got to complete my next nav!  After several months break, I felt a little rusty to say the least!  I had to re-connect all those synaptic pathways that remembered how to operate the flight computer.  Not the kind of computer that I'm sitting on now, typing this out, more of a circular slide-rule.  Seen here.  It does so many functions and calculations it is amazing.


This nav was all to be about diversions.  Getting prepared for if/when the weather doesn't play so nicely en-route.  Basically, a diversion involves making a decision at a known point, quickly formulating a new plan (be it another airport or reversing track) without assistance from rulers or protractors, then making the necessary adjustments and fly it.

With that in mind, Manny made me plan a flight... and most likely we won't be going to one of the places!  The plan was Ballarat - Woorndoo - Horsham - Ballarat.  Woorndoo is not an aerodrome, but a tiny little town in the middle flat, agricultural land - the idea being that I have to find a small target.  I also had to be prepared for a diversion to any airport nearby.  So I had sheets for Hamilton, Horsham, Stawell, Ararat and Maryborough.


The flight turned out to be to Woorndoo - Ararat and back to Ballarat.  Forecast winds were mild, but as it turned out they turned out to be more mild than thought.   We took off from Ballarat and pointed the nose to Woorndoo.  Skipton was to be the half way mark - that's where I'd be able to gauge whether we were on/off track and whether we were early/late.  As it turns out, the winds weren't pushing us off course as much as planned.  We found we were about two nautical miles off to the North.  A quick re-alignment using a Standard Closing Angle and we were back  on track.

I managed to identify Woorndoo, although on the WAC chart (aviation map) it shows a large silo on the North-East corner of the town.  I was expecting to see a tall grain silo or something similar, so I kept a keen eye out for it, but couldn't see any.  Eventually, I saw a couple of small silos bunched together.  They were no larger than a farm water tank.  Oh, and they were on the North West corner of the town!  It might have been a Friday afternoon at the cartographers' office when that was getting updated!  :-)

Then, as we were supposed to turn for Horsham, Manny gave me the news that it was time for my first diversion.  Ararat was to be the new destination.  I had to figure out a new track heading, work out the distance and expected timing, then fly it!  I used Lake Bolac as a reference point and under Manny's coaching, headed towards Ararat. 

With a big high pressure system sitting over much of Victoria, with light surface winds and lots of planned burns happening, the air was quite murky below about 3500 feet.  Above that, it was as smooth as silk.  I managed to pick Ararat out of the murk, but we descended to overfly the airport the bumps started.

A closer look at our track around Ararat.
The big loop you can see to the North of the field is to allow us to overfly the field at one thousand feet above circuit height.  From there we could ascertain surface wind from the windsock and make an informed decision as to which runway will be most appropriate.  After deciding that runway 30 was our best bet, we continued over on the 'dead side' of the circuit and descended to join mid-field cross wind.

There wasn't a soul at the airport.  Now I think I know why.  The wind was playing less nicely the closer to ground we got.  I set up for my first landing (Manny wanted me to do a couple of circuits at least - to get used to operating at unfamiliar airports), there was a slight crosswind to the right.  I eased the plane on to the ground, and just after touchdown a gust comes up and gave us a small balloon.  I put it back down and put on the power to take off again.  The second approach was much the same, although I opted for less flap this time.  When I got near the ground this time, the gusts were so bad I had trouble positively controlling the sink rate.  Fearing a heavy landing, I made the decision to go around.  Manny said that he'd like a chance to have a go at this landing.  He did a normal Manny approach (rock-solid), but as he got one wheel on the ground a gust came up and made us lift off again.  Shaking his head, he pushed the throttle to full power and we climbed above the circuit for an overhead departure back to Ballarat.  On the climb out I quipped that we found out why there was no locals about today!

On this final leg, I was to look after everything.  Manny said that he'd sit back and enjoy the view - only to speak up if I got really off track.  I worked out a heading and made my way towards Ballarat.  It wasn't too long before I could make out the familiar shapes of Mt Warrenheip and Mt Buninyong in the hazy distance.  I figured that if I pointed the nose at Warrenheip we'd be pretty much home and hosed.  A slight update at Beaufort (my half-way point) was required as we were a little early due to the slight tail wind.

It was fairly busy on return to Ballarat (which was exactly on time!) so we did the same thing as Ararat - arrived one thousand feet above the circuit height, descended on the dead side and joined mid-field crosswind.  I did a landing and then Manny did one.  He complemented me on my soft touchdown in trying conditions.

We taxied back to the hanger and shut down after two and a half hours of flying.  I was exhausted and excited all at the same time!  Just before we got back Manny said "That was a really good effort, especially considering it's been a few months between navs.  I think you should go solo next, how do you feel about that?"

"Uh, great!"

If the weather holds out, next week I might be doing it all again - by myself!

Can't wait.





P.s.  I wish I had some photos to share with you all.  Unfortunately, I was so busy controlling the aircraft and learning the teaching points that I didn't even get to take any!  Oh well, there's always next time...